Skip to main content

Music Tech Blog Post Week 7

This week's reading seems like a great way to end such an an engaging course. I already employ some of the technologies listed, but there were some new things to explore too. My music teaching position requires me to be extremely organized. Otherwise, there is mass chaos. If there is chaos, I cannot focus on the actual act of teaching music.

I am the sole music educator at my small, rural school that also happens to be a one-school district. Therefore, I am the only K-12 music educator in my district. So, as you can imagine, I am the music department chair, general music teacher, band teacher, choir teacher, music secretary, instrument repair technician, inventory manager, and more. I know I don't need to list all of the jobs as you all are familiar with them. Currently, I am still figuring out what works for me.

For my lessons plans, I rely heavily on Planbook. This is a great piece of technology that keeps my unique schedule organized. I utilize almost all of what Google provides: Docs, Sites, Gmail, and more. I could not be more involved with Google Drive as I already am. I love how it allows me to access any of my work documents from anywhere I am and any device that I am on. It is also a great way to have administration approve and edit documents before sending them out to stakeholders. One of my favorite ways to use Google is with Sites. As the text mentions, I utilize a Google Site to provide information about the music department.

https://sites.google.com/view/tlmmusic/home

If you visit my webpage, you can see how I already have pages for my music boosters. That page is controlled by the booster president as I am able to allow her access for collaboration through Google's "Sharing" function. I have my schedule, a link to book a meeting with me that connects directly to my Office 360 calendar, the handbooks, state and national standards, helpful links, and more. The tricky thing is I have to remember to set the Google Docs to public view. Otherwise, no one will be able to see it.

I also rely heavily on my Personal Learning Network (PLN) through Facebook. Despite the fact that I am the only music educator for my district, I am also unfamiliar with the area educators as my husband and I moved to North Dakota from Tennessee. I find that the Music Teachers Facebook group is invaluable for informal professional development. I also keep in contact with my mentors through messenger. I am not an avid Twitter or Google + user, but I see the value in using those too. So, I will make an effort to incorporate more of those social media sites into my PLN.

This course has improved my overall practice in so many ways, and I am trying to ensure that I do not become over zealous by incorporating too much too quickly or without considering my TPACK. I've decided to start more with my personal organization by incorporating Calendly (not mentioned in the text, but it is awesome!). I have not opened it to my students yet, but I plan on scheduling lessons and meetings through that forum. I have also been approved to purchase the MusicFirst online classroom to utilize Soundtrap in a new class I am piloting to give 7th and 8th grade students an elective that is not an ensemble.

Comments

  1. Michaela-
    I TOTALLY AGREE! I can not function in my classroom if I am not organized. I have to have everything written down and organized about what lessons I am doing on what days. I was highly intrigued that you use Planbook. My school offered to purchase a subscription for all teachers who wished to use Planbook, but I have been using the IDOCEO app where I can plan lessons and grade and I did not see a use for it at the time. After reading your blog post, I am curious as to how it can help me be even more organized within my classroom.
    I agree also that this course was really enlightening and inspiring to me! I am excited to incorporate more technology into my classroom, but thankfully the technology I want to include requires platforms that I have to raise funds for (i.e. computers, Ipads, headphones, etc). I am excited to change my classroom, but agree that I do not want to add too much technology to the classroom!

    Happy Holidays!,
    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Music Tech Blog Post Week 3

This week's materials have put me out of my comfort zone  somewhat . I always love utilizing technology, but the  science behind it makes me a little uneasy. So, I found myself rereading the material that discussed bits, compressed audio, and even the digital audio workstation (DAW). Once I read through those sections about three to four times, I think I finally have a small grasp on their  applications, and I am sure I will continue in practicing utilizing that knowledge even after this course to become more familiar with the terms and application at home and in the classroom. The material that discussed  Audacity  and  Soundation  was extremely interesting to me. My husband (also a  K-12  music teacher ) and  I play around with  GarageBand  enough to know how to isolate musical parts to make practice CD's for our students. However, we are by every meaning of the word novices  in  understanding the capabilities of that software. In our undergraduate careers, we were only

Music Tech Blog Post Week 1

I have been looking forward to this course for the duration of my time in this graduate program. I love learning about new technologies and how they can help to improve learning in my classroom. I teach K-12 general music, band, and choir. So, I am familiar with utilizing technology within those areas, and I am constantly looking for new technologies that might prove beneficial. I also thoroughly enjoyed watching the technology integration video from Edutopia in this week’s lecture. I found it to be extremely inspiring as I’ve thought through on how to improve my technology usage this past week, and I look forward to sharing that video with my staff as we discuss how to improve our school’s overall technology usage. Additionally, I look for ways for my students to use their personal technology (i.e. smart phone) positively rather than one that detracts from their learning. This is because students today are so ingrained with technology that it does become a distraction from learning

Music Tech Blog Post Week 2

Once again, I enjoyed this week's reading and lecture. This is partially because  I am simply excited to be taking this course . I also enjoyed it because I am passionate about teaching composition within my classes. However, I am still working on the best way to integrate it into my ensembles without taking away from concert preparation. Last year at my previous school, I utilized  Noteflight  and  MuseScore  within my school's subscription to  MusicFirst . However, I did not get as  in depth  with the  MuseScore  software that  was presented in the new tutorials . I simply had  surface knowledge . Looking back, I should have utilized them as I would have spent less time on imputing examples from the band  &  choir curricula. I hope, as I move forward with my new position, I will be able to get another subscription to  MusicFirst  so I can continue improving my knowledge of  Noteflight  and  MuseScore  along with integrating them into compositional lessons. If you