Skip to main content

SmartMusic Review

Because Chromatik is no longer available, I thought I would compare SmartMusic & MusicFirst as they are both similar softwares that utilize the cloud.

To begin my review, I wanted to look at the ultimate goals of both softwares. For easy reference, I have screen shots of both.

SmartMusic: Guided Practice









MusicFirst: K-12 Music Software Tools
As you can see, SmartMusic places its focus on practice. MusicFirst has many different aspects that can be bundled together or used separately. MusicFirst has bundles based off grade levels and content areas: Elementary, Band/Chorus/Orchestra, Music Theory, and General Music. Similar to SmartMusic, MusicFirst has what is called PracticeFirst.

So, let's compare SmartMusic and PracticeFirst.

Smart Music gives very specific feedback to the students. As you can tell from the screen shot, it highlights notes & rests for the student.


PracticeFirst is less specific than SmartMusic when it comes to identifying areas for improvement. As you can see from the screen shot, the exercise is color coded.

Additionally, PracticeFirst does not have as vast of a library as SmartMusic. However, just like SmartMusic you can upload your own examples to assign to students through MuseScore.

Price is another difference. SmartMusic offers a free version, which does not provide full access to all features. The full version is set for 3 teachers and 50 students. However, more personalized options are available by quote.


MusicFirst has a 30 day free-trial. Afterwards, you will need to purchase a license to continue utilizing the software. You have two choices: purchasing the premium content or specific content. You must go through the process of receiving a quote based on the content you wish to have access to, and how many "seats" you will need based off the number of students in each class that will be using the software.

I went through step two of the quote process with MusicFirst to see an estimated price. You should take note that I had to "add" PracticeFirst, and Soundation for Education is included in the regular subscription.

As a side note, I added Sight Reading Factory and Noteflight Learn because I would be interested in utilizing them for pedagogical and content reasons. Additionally, the subscription includes access to lessons based on the software you purchase access to.


All in all, SmartMusic and MusicFirst are both similar, but they have their differences based off their ultimate goals. Besides what I have mentioned above, you will find little difference in the offerings of SmartMusic and PracticeFirst. As an educator, I would choose SmartMusic as I could include multiple tools under one subscription rather than managing multiple subscriptions. I believe it would also fill my needs better as a K-12 music educator as well if I were to explore and add the Elementary tools.

All images are screen shots taken directly from the websites of SmartMusic and MusicFirst.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Music Tech Blog Post Week 3

This week's materials have put me out of my comfort zone  somewhat . I always love utilizing technology, but the  science behind it makes me a little uneasy. So, I found myself rereading the material that discussed bits, compressed audio, and even the digital audio workstation (DAW). Once I read through those sections about three to four times, I think I finally have a small grasp on their  applications, and I am sure I will continue in practicing utilizing that knowledge even after this course to become more familiar with the terms and application at home and in the classroom. The material that discussed  Audacity  and  Soundation  was extremely interesting to me. My husband (also a  K-12  music teacher ) and  I play around with  GarageBand  enough to know how to isolate musical parts to make practice CD's for our students. However, we are by every meaning of the word novices  in  understanding the capabilities of that software. In our undergraduate careers, we were only

Music Tech Blog Post Week 1

I have been looking forward to this course for the duration of my time in this graduate program. I love learning about new technologies and how they can help to improve learning in my classroom. I teach K-12 general music, band, and choir. So, I am familiar with utilizing technology within those areas, and I am constantly looking for new technologies that might prove beneficial. I also thoroughly enjoyed watching the technology integration video from Edutopia in this week’s lecture. I found it to be extremely inspiring as I’ve thought through on how to improve my technology usage this past week, and I look forward to sharing that video with my staff as we discuss how to improve our school’s overall technology usage. Additionally, I look for ways for my students to use their personal technology (i.e. smart phone) positively rather than one that detracts from their learning. This is because students today are so ingrained with technology that it does become a distraction from learning

Music Tech Blog Post Week 2

Once again, I enjoyed this week's reading and lecture. This is partially because  I am simply excited to be taking this course . I also enjoyed it because I am passionate about teaching composition within my classes. However, I am still working on the best way to integrate it into my ensembles without taking away from concert preparation. Last year at my previous school, I utilized  Noteflight  and  MuseScore  within my school's subscription to  MusicFirst . However, I did not get as  in depth  with the  MuseScore  software that  was presented in the new tutorials . I simply had  surface knowledge . Looking back, I should have utilized them as I would have spent less time on imputing examples from the band  &  choir curricula. I hope, as I move forward with my new position, I will be able to get another subscription to  MusicFirst  so I can continue improving my knowledge of  Noteflight  and  MuseScore  along with integrating them into compositional lessons. If you