Skip to main content

Music Tech Blog Post Week 6

This week's reading had several great reminders, and it also added much more in depth information on those topics as well! The emphasis on listening in the beginning of the chapter helped to put into context information that almost seems to be common sense. For example, Bauer (2014) indicates that people listen to music at certain times like while in a car (p. 107). He also discusses how students have a view of a separation of music at school and home. Therefore, we must teach our students how to listen to better appreciate the difference rather than shoving it off as boring or unimportant. To me, listening seems like such an obscure skill to teach. It also is hard for me to generate assessments that would provide evidence for data tracking. However, I understand the importance especially when teaching elementary music.
As stated in the text, I have used commercial listening resources at the elementary level. Dr. Denise Gange has wonderful multi-level Listening Resource Kits available for purchase. Unfortunately, I do not have access to this resource at my new position. However, at my previous school, I would devote a specific day for one of her listening lessons. We would listen by CD. I would project call charts or listening maps to my IWB through a USB projector. From there, we could write on it for reference as needed. I would also locate visual listening maps like the one found below.



As a side note, I honestly love all the MusicPlay resources, and if I planned on solely teaching elementary music I would invest in personal copies of all of her materials. Click here for her website.

One of the best pieces of advice I had as I was starting my teaching career was to always have students actively listen with visuals and movement. Unfortunately, I found it to be true the hard way. This advice should be adhered to even more closely with younger elementary students. I found that those ages were more engaged, retained more information, and grew farther in skill as we incorporated all sorts of visual technology with music and movement. With technology available today, listening lessons are not difficult. They simply take careful attention in planning and implementation.

I also found the section on WebQuests to be very informative, inspiring, and helpful as I work on  creating the WebQuest for next week. The possibilities are truly endless, and I look forward to implementing the one that I create into one of my classes. I can remember as a student getting excited while doing lessons designed as a "quest." Perhaps it is the fantasy lover inside me, but I also believe that it helps students to engage more in the activity when it seems less like "school" and more of a mystery that needs to be solved or a discovery that needs to be made.


Bauer, W. I. (2014). Music learning today: Digital pedagogy for creating,                   
            performing, and  responding to music. New York City: Oxford University
            Press.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Music Tech Blog Post Week 3

This week's materials have put me out of my comfort zone  somewhat . I always love utilizing technology, but the  science behind it makes me a little uneasy. So, I found myself rereading the material that discussed bits, compressed audio, and even the digital audio workstation (DAW). Once I read through those sections about three to four times, I think I finally have a small grasp on their  applications, and I am sure I will continue in practicing utilizing that knowledge even after this course to become more familiar with the terms and application at home and in the classroom. The material that discussed  Audacity  and  Soundation  was extremely interesting to me. My husband (also a  K-12  music teacher ) and  I play around with  GarageBand  enough to know how to isolate musical parts to make practice CD's for our students. However, we are by every meaning of the word novices  in  understanding the capabilities of that software. In our undergraduate careers, we were only

Music Tech Blog Post Week 1

I have been looking forward to this course for the duration of my time in this graduate program. I love learning about new technologies and how they can help to improve learning in my classroom. I teach K-12 general music, band, and choir. So, I am familiar with utilizing technology within those areas, and I am constantly looking for new technologies that might prove beneficial. I also thoroughly enjoyed watching the technology integration video from Edutopia in this week’s lecture. I found it to be extremely inspiring as I’ve thought through on how to improve my technology usage this past week, and I look forward to sharing that video with my staff as we discuss how to improve our school’s overall technology usage. Additionally, I look for ways for my students to use their personal technology (i.e. smart phone) positively rather than one that detracts from their learning. This is because students today are so ingrained with technology that it does become a distraction from learning

Music Tech Blog Post Week 2

Once again, I enjoyed this week's reading and lecture. This is partially because  I am simply excited to be taking this course . I also enjoyed it because I am passionate about teaching composition within my classes. However, I am still working on the best way to integrate it into my ensembles without taking away from concert preparation. Last year at my previous school, I utilized  Noteflight  and  MuseScore  within my school's subscription to  MusicFirst . However, I did not get as  in depth  with the  MuseScore  software that  was presented in the new tutorials . I simply had  surface knowledge . Looking back, I should have utilized them as I would have spent less time on imputing examples from the band  &  choir curricula. I hope, as I move forward with my new position, I will be able to get another subscription to  MusicFirst  so I can continue improving my knowledge of  Noteflight  and  MuseScore  along with integrating them into compositional lessons. If you