Skip to main content

Music Tech Week 5

This week has been a great reminder on lesson design, and the roles that technologies should serve when working on the designs of all lessons, units, and the curriculum . One aspect that I found extremely engaging for me is the section on Project-Based Learning. This is because I was just approved to incorporate Project-Based Learning for my 7-12 band and choir.

The project that my students will be completing is designing and performing in a concert that is designed to raise funds for our music department. Traditionally, my school puts on a concert called DessertsMusicand More that is planned by the music boosters in October. Due to certain events this year, it had to be cancelled. While long-term planning, I realized that I have over a month between the spring concert and graduation. This seemed like the perfect event to place between them.

The questions and statements posed in this section of the reading served as a great thought provokers, and I believe that I will continue to refer back to this section as I begin working through the planning process for this benefit concert. The eight essential elements for Project-Based Learning provided by The Buck Institute for Education are what I will definitely need to refer back to (Bauer, 2014, 150).

However, I have begun to formulate the components for those elements.
  1. The significant content based on standards central to the performance-based classroom is that the students will be required to perform at this event.
  2. Students will have to utilize their "creativity, critical thinking, communication, and collaboration" skills to complete this task in a timely manner as it will be a community event that is raising funds for the music department (Bauer, 2014, 150).
  3. Students will have to ask questions on how to book a space, order food, order decorations, and others. The question they have to answer is how to organize and program a benefit concert.
  4. The project provides motivation because the students are the planners. They will have to seek out the knowledge if they do not know or understand how to accomplish something.
  5. They will also be demonstrating their musicianship skills.
  6. This project will also allow the students to have the freedom to make their choices with some limitations. For example, the students wanted to have the event during the school day. However, the superintendent would not allow that as the purpose is to be a fundraising event open to the community. If the event occurs during the school day, the music department would lose potential earnings due to individuals having to be at work.
  7. I will be able to provide opportunities for student feedback. I believe I am going to incorporate Office 365's OneNote as a collaboration forum where I and the students can monitor progress and decisions. That will also serve as a technology integration that promotes collaboration during this process.
  8. The product of this Project-Based Learning process is presented in full to the community. However, I believe I will have the students present how they arrived at their decisions through some type of PowerPoint or Prezi at the opening of the concert. This is to demonstrate to the students the importance of the entire process along with demonstrating their skills to stakeholders.
This process also helps to promote backwards planning. I have started with my big picture objective: the students will organize and program a benefit concert. I have begun to formulate the checklist. However, it is not complete nowUltimately, I look forward to the opportunity to put this chapter into practice as I develop this type of unit for my students, and I hope I can implement and improve this process again in the future.


Bauer, W. I. (2014). Music learning today: Digital pedagogy for creating,                     
            performing, and  responding to music. New York City: Oxford University
            Press.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Music Tech Blog Post Week 3

This week's materials have put me out of my comfort zone  somewhat . I always love utilizing technology, but the  science behind it makes me a little uneasy. So, I found myself rereading the material that discussed bits, compressed audio, and even the digital audio workstation (DAW). Once I read through those sections about three to four times, I think I finally have a small grasp on their  applications, and I am sure I will continue in practicing utilizing that knowledge even after this course to become more familiar with the terms and application at home and in the classroom. The material that discussed  Audacity  and  Soundation  was extremely interesting to me. My husband (also a  K-12  music teacher ) and  I play around with  GarageBand  enough to know how to isolate musical parts to make practice CD's for our students. However, we are by every meaning of the word novices  in  understanding the capabilities of that software. In our undergraduate careers, we were only

Music Tech Blog Post Week 1

I have been looking forward to this course for the duration of my time in this graduate program. I love learning about new technologies and how they can help to improve learning in my classroom. I teach K-12 general music, band, and choir. So, I am familiar with utilizing technology within those areas, and I am constantly looking for new technologies that might prove beneficial. I also thoroughly enjoyed watching the technology integration video from Edutopia in this week’s lecture. I found it to be extremely inspiring as I’ve thought through on how to improve my technology usage this past week, and I look forward to sharing that video with my staff as we discuss how to improve our school’s overall technology usage. Additionally, I look for ways for my students to use their personal technology (i.e. smart phone) positively rather than one that detracts from their learning. This is because students today are so ingrained with technology that it does become a distraction from learning

Music Tech Blog Post Week 2

Once again, I enjoyed this week's reading and lecture. This is partially because  I am simply excited to be taking this course . I also enjoyed it because I am passionate about teaching composition within my classes. However, I am still working on the best way to integrate it into my ensembles without taking away from concert preparation. Last year at my previous school, I utilized  Noteflight  and  MuseScore  within my school's subscription to  MusicFirst . However, I did not get as  in depth  with the  MuseScore  software that  was presented in the new tutorials . I simply had  surface knowledge . Looking back, I should have utilized them as I would have spent less time on imputing examples from the band  &  choir curricula. I hope, as I move forward with my new position, I will be able to get another subscription to  MusicFirst  so I can continue improving my knowledge of  Noteflight  and  MuseScore  along with integrating them into compositional lessons. If you