Skip to main content

Music Tech Blog Post Week 2

Once again, I enjoyed this week's reading and lecture. This is partially because I am simply excited to be taking this course. I also enjoyed it because I am passionate about teaching composition within my classes. However, I am still working on the best way to integrate it into my ensembles without taking away from concert preparation.

Last year at my previous school, I utilized Noteflight and MuseScore within my school's subscription to MusicFirst. However, I did not get as in depth with the MuseScore software that was presented in the new tutorials. I simply had surface knowledge. Looking back, I should have utilized them as I would have spent less time on imputing examples from the band & choir curricula. I hope, as I move forward with my new position, I will be able to get another subscription to MusicFirst so I can continue improving my knowledge of Noteflight and MuseScore along with integrating them into compositional lessons.

If you are unfamiliar with MusicFirst, it is a cloud-based music software similar to SmartMusicYou can find their website here. I highly encourage you to explore what they have to offer. They have resources for K-12, which are simply amazing if you have a content and pedagogical purpose for them. This might be a great tool for you. I chose MusicFirst over SmartMusic for two main reasons: cost and the cloud-based technology. Cloud-based technology moves me into my discussion about Noteflight and its classroom application.

My previous school is 1:1 with technology. Junior High students have an iPad, and High School students have a SurfacePro. During class, students would bring their technology and be able to work on their assignments without having to have the software downloaded onto their computer. Through the classrooms set up in MusicFirst, there was a full subscription to Noteflight, I was able to assign composition exercises, and I could go and look at each of their individual and group compositions. With it being cloud-based, students could continue working at home from any device that had an internet connection. I found all three of those aspects to be invaluable, and more engaging for my students.

Comments

  1. I love how passionate you are about composing and feel so comfortable with the software to do it. In my district we have the technology available with site licenses to Sibelius and Finale but I have a hard time getting any time with a lab. I see that you are on a 1:1 ratio with technology and the district just north of use moved to that. I have heard both positives and negatives about this model. Do you feel there are more problems with the 1:1 in the classroom or does it enhance your instruction?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not necessarily sure there are more problems with a 1:1 ratio. There definitely are more problems when students have never been 1:1. However, I believe it is our job to teach them how to properly use their technology. When students understand expectations with the technology and proper consequences are in place/utilized, I find that there are few problems. It seems to me that when positive uses are put in place that there are fewer opportunities for technology to be used negatively (with exceptions of students who will make poor choices no matter the situation).

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Music Tech Blog Post Week 3

This week's materials have put me out of my comfort zone  somewhat . I always love utilizing technology, but the  science behind it makes me a little uneasy. So, I found myself rereading the material that discussed bits, compressed audio, and even the digital audio workstation (DAW). Once I read through those sections about three to four times, I think I finally have a small grasp on their  applications, and I am sure I will continue in practicing utilizing that knowledge even after this course to become more familiar with the terms and application at home and in the classroom. The material that discussed  Audacity  and  Soundation  was extremely interesting to me. My husband (also a  K-12  music teacher ) and  I play around with  GarageBand  enough to know how to isolate musical parts to make practice CD's for our students. However, we are by every meaning of the word novices  in  understanding the capabilities of that software. In our undergraduate careers, we were only

Music Tech Blog Post Week 1

I have been looking forward to this course for the duration of my time in this graduate program. I love learning about new technologies and how they can help to improve learning in my classroom. I teach K-12 general music, band, and choir. So, I am familiar with utilizing technology within those areas, and I am constantly looking for new technologies that might prove beneficial. I also thoroughly enjoyed watching the technology integration video from Edutopia in this week’s lecture. I found it to be extremely inspiring as I’ve thought through on how to improve my technology usage this past week, and I look forward to sharing that video with my staff as we discuss how to improve our school’s overall technology usage. Additionally, I look for ways for my students to use their personal technology (i.e. smart phone) positively rather than one that detracts from their learning. This is because students today are so ingrained with technology that it does become a distraction from learning